A three-part series on histograms up to and including 11g – written for Allthings Oracle. With Chinese transalation:
- Part 1 – Frequency histograms, purpose, alternatives, limitations, and fixes. Chinese translation
- Part 2 – Height balanced histograms and how to address their limitations. Chinese translation
- Part 3 – A couple of case studies of histograms that were “strategic” rather than specific.
And a three part series on histograms in 12c on this blog
- Part 1 – Overview of histogram enhancements in 12c
- Part 2 – Frequency histograms and Top-N histograms
- Part 3 – Hybrid Histograms
A short video recorded at RMOUG 2013 about the improvements in Oracle’s histogram mechanisms as you upgrade from 11g to 12c.
Update (Jan 2016):
A pair of articles by Mohamed Houri, published on allthingsoracle.com adding discussing details of the mechanisms and selectivity calculations for 12c histograms: